Monday, December 3, 2007

quilts

I have enjoyed making quilts for quite a few years now. All my quilts are for use and enjoyment. I don't worry about exact corners, perfect seams, mitred bindings, etc. If I did, I would never make anything!
Finished is better than perfect.
~Anonymous

To the left is my flying geese wall quilt. I know the colours don't work with that wall paper but that was just before I redecorated the room, just before we moved. It is one of the few controlled quilts I have made. Most of them have just been scrappies.


The quilt on the right is one I made for my eldest son Jay. I called it Pennies From My Garden because even years after he grew up and became a man, I continued to find lego men, GI Joe's, and Star Wars figurines in my gardens. Every time I dug one of those up, I could almost hear the echo of his laughter from so long ago. The pattern is known by two different names. Chinese Coins and Garden Path. I borrowed from both these to name mine. Pennies represented all the priceless memories I dug up and From My Garden for the latter as this was one of my son's favourite places to play.


The blue quilt here was made after watching an episode of Simply Quilts. The guest was Bethany S. Reynolds and she was demonstrating her Stack and Whack technique. I just had to give it a try. It turned out quite well and now hangs above the bed in the master bedroom. I've received many nice compliments on this quilt.

This next quilt is one I made for my youngest son Alex. It is a log cabin quilt from the book Winter Warmers by Leisure Arts. This is one of the first quilts I made.




"All my scattering moments are taken up with my needle."
~Diary of Ellen Birdeye Wheaton


My picnic quilt is one of my personal favourites. It is made of 4" squares. There are two squares of each fabric used. In the quilting, I used small rickrack which framed each square beautifully. On the border, I made an ant stencil and using black paint and fabric medium, I stenciled ants all around the border. It is a whimsical quilt that every one loves.




No comments: